Monday, May 9, 2016

Week 36: an actual Letter

Hey friends,

I just wanted to say a H U G E thank you for all the birthday wishes, ya'll are too good! Sorry I haven't really written too much of anything in a while, after some much deserved rebuking from my mother, I think I'll give it a shot. 

So essentially, I've been in Abbotsford now for my 3rd Transfer (almost 4 1/2 months). Abbotsford is considered the "bible belt" of BC, Canada, which always has its pros and cons. Its been amazing to be a part of a community that truly rejoices in their Savior, Jesus Christ, and most people here are really nice, even if they're not interested. 

Sister Amat Sokupit (which by the way I just realized none of ya'll have ever heard that pronounced so it probably sounds really weird and intimidating- so its pronounced A mought Sock oo Pit). Any ways, so sister Amat Sokupit and I have been working with several families. I promise to get pictures with them this week so that ya'll can put some names to faces but not too too much is happening with them yet. They are all really amazing families with a strong faith in God and a desire to follow him and to help their families and children to love the gospel. One family is from Sudan, another is from Muldova (Sp?), which is near Romania, and the rest are all just regular Canadian families. There are still A TON of east Indians here in Abby, in fact our church is across the street from a Sik temple, but I haven't been teaching any Sik, Hindi, Asian, or Filipino people since I got here ( which is basically everyone I taught in Surrey).

Really what I would like to share with ya'll though this week is 2 stories that come from The Book of Mormon, and essentially sum up everything I have been learning on my mission. 

In Mosiah Chapter 21, it talks about Limhi and his people, who are under bondage and who are being persecuted. Throughout their prosperity they had become prideful and forgotten that everything they had was because of God and began to become wicked. When things got hard they immediately began to complain and whine about their afflictions. And when they finally humble themselves and cry for help it says,

"And now the Lord was slow to her their cry because of their iniquities; nevertheless the Lord did hear their cries, and began to soften the hearts of the Lamanites that they began to ease their burdens; yet the Lord did not see fit to deliver them out of bondage."

Now the second story is found a couple chapters later in Mosiah Chapter 24. this chapter talks about Alma and his people, who like the Limhi and his people, are faced with many challenges and trials and are experiencing much persecution. Unlike Limhi and his people however, Alma and his people have been faithful in keeping the commandments of the Lord, and recognize His hand in every step of their lives. And when they cry unto the Lord for help it says,

"And it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage. And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your backs, even while you are in bondage..... And now it came to pass that the burdens which were laid upon Alma and his bretheren were made light; yes, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord."

At the end of each of these stories, God helps deliver both groups of people out of bondage. And God will do the same thing for each of us. He is our Heavenly Father, and if there is one thing I know more than anything else it is that, He loves us. We each experience trials and challenges in this life- there is no way to avoid them. Trials help us to learn and to grow. But the difficulty in the trial comes from our attitude- from our ability to recognize God's divine plan for us- and to choose to submit ourselves to His will. Limhi and his people experienced a lot of difficulty, and in times of disappointment they, like we often do, complained and asked, "Why me? Why would you do this to me God?" But Alma and his people allowed their trials and challenges to teach them. They understood that God knew and loved them, that He would never leave them alone, and they had faith that everything would work out for their greater good. Now that doesn't mean that things weren't still hard, because they were. And they still are for each of us. But I know that as we choose to have faith in God and in his plan for us, if we try to ask "What can I learn, rather than Why does life have to be so hard?" that we too, like Alma and his people will be able to bear our burdens with ease. And I know that it's possible. Missions, like much of life, are challenging. I have experienced way more than I even thought possible, and I am so grateful for the things that life has taught me. The good, bad, and ugly in life are what shape us to be the people we are today. 

I know that being grateful in times of trial truly turns burdens into blessings, and it allows us to rely fully on our Heavenly Father, and our Savior, Jesus Christ. I am grateful for them and for the love that they extend to each of us always. 

I love al of you and pray that each of us will be able to find the innumerable opportunities for joy throughout our journeys. 

Love always,

Sister Robertson

No comments:

Post a Comment