Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Week 62: Kick when you don't want to Kick and Stroke when you don't want to Stroke

HEY CHICKENS

Where do I even start? This past week has been absolutely crazy.

First, this morning I woke up with the worst stomach bug of your life :-) I was so close to surviving my entire mission without getting sick, dang it.

Second, we got transfer news! Sister Hubert is heading down to Abbotsford to be an STL, and I am going to be an STL here in Prince George with Sister Tripp (who was just serving as an STL down in Surrey with my baby Sister Seiter!)

Third, ELDER HOLLAND CAME TO OUR MISSION AND YES HE IS EXACTLY LIKE ALL THE VIDEOS, same pulpit pounding and everything. 

It was absolutely amazing, and so crazy to be with the entire mission.... SO GOOD to see so many old companions ;-)

Elder Holland talked about a lot of different things, but his love for the people  in this world is astounding. He is a true disciple of Christ, and one whom truly understood and lives Christs instruction to, "Feed His sheep."

What struck me the most is how much the gospel, and his mission has meant to him. Not only did he keep saying it over and over, "My mission means everything to me." But you can feel it and see it in his face. His Savior, Jesus Christ literally means the world to him, and it's that single factor that has led him and continues to lead him to every other blessing in his life that he now currently has. 

I know that everything that I have, and everything that I am truly stems from the gospel of Jesus Christ, and from a decision to come on a mission. 

Elder Holland discussed different aspects of missionary work and the adversity that accompanies it. He said that, "often missionaries on occasion ask, Why is this so hard?

You will have occasion to ask those questions. I have thought about this a great deal. I offer this as my personal feeling. I am convinced that missionary work is not easy because salvation is not a cheap experience.Salvation never was easy. We are The Church of Jesus Christ, this is the truth, and He is our Great Eternal Head. How could we believe it would be easy for us when it was never, ever easy for Him? It seems to me that missionaries and mission leaders have to spend at least a few moments in Gethsemane. Missionaries and mission leaders have to take at least a step or two toward the summit of Calvary.

Now, please don’t misunderstand. I’m not talking about anything anywhere near what Christ experienced. That would be presumptuous and sacrilegious. But I believe that missionaries and investigators, to come to the truth, to come to salvation, to know something of this price that has been paid, will have to pay a token of that same price.

For that reason I don’t believe missionary work has ever been easy, nor that conversion is, nor that retention is, nor that continued faithfulness is. I believe it is supposed to require some effort, something from the depths of our soul.

If He could come forward in the night, kneel down, fall on His face, bleed from every pore, and cry, “Abba, Father (Papa), if this cup can pass, let it pass,” 16 then little wonder that salvation is not a whimsical or easy thing for us. If you wonder if there isn’t an easier way, you should remember you are not the first one to ask that. Someone a lot greater and a lot grander asked a long time ago if there wasn’t an easier way."


I know that this not only applies to missionary work, but like Elder Holland said, to all those who strive to be continually faithful in the church. This life is so hard, but it's that refining process that allows us to blossom into the people that God needs and we want to be. 

When a Olympic swimmer was asked the secret to his success he said, "Kick when you don't want to kick, and stroke when you don't want to stroke." 

I know that that is something each of us can do in this life and we strive to follow our Heavenly Father and his son, Jesus Christ every day. When things get hard, because they will, keep kicking and keep stroking- never give up. 

I LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH and am so grateful for the privilege that I have to serve a mission, and to be able to learn all of these things now. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who loves us enough to hurt us sometimes so that we are able to be pushed and to become the people we were meant to be. I know He lives and loves each one of you, and that Jesus Christ is the son of God and the only way to find true peace and joy in this life. 

I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT WEEK!

Love always,
Sister Robertson

Pictures for this week:
1/2) By the way I past my 14 months...  and apparently carving pineapples is a thing? Lets just say it was a lot tastier.

No comments:

Post a Comment